Would you like to have Absolutely Independent distribute your formats?
The Television industry is like fashion: it changes all the time. That’s why we’re always interested in looking at—and evaluating—new ideas and formats. Perhaps you’re “sitting on” a format, either produced or in the planning stage?
Absolutely Independent is known throughout the television business. Since our launch in 1996, we’ve built a strong, worldwide network of both broadcasters and production companies. We visit our clients abroad frequently and participate in the most important international fairs, including MIP, MIPCOM, DISCOP and NATPE. We mainly distribute successfully produced formats. Sometimes we help co-develop a paper format to make it more successful for the market. In such situations we can either become (partial) co-owner of the format or charge an hourly fee for these extra services. We don’t produce programs ourselves, but we operate as matchmakers between creative brains, producers, broadcasters and advertisers (for more info, see Absolutely Branded).
Beware: you may think your concept is original, but it may well have been executed elsewhere. If it has, we may, in fact, know about it.
Absolutely Independent is always interested in new ideas. We are continuously looking for produced formats and formats for which a pilot has been made. But if you have a unique format idea that is still on paper, we would also like to hear from you. Please submit a three-line summary of your idea for consideration by our staff. If this idea is a game show, we advise you to make a fully-outlined demo of the game. Keep in mind that a clear outline of the finale is most important. If your summary meets our needs, we will contact you regarding the next step.
Please note that we charge a handling fee of € 50,- (excluding VAT and Bankcharges) per format idea, to be paid up front.
Whenever we look at a new program proposal, we automatically respect your intellectual property rights. However, we cannot sign Non-Disclosure or Confidentiality Agreements simply because we receive hundreds of ideas per year and some may even be similar to yours. But there is no need for concern. After all, our business depends on good ideas!
Here are some helpful questions to ask yourself when considering whether or not the format in question meets the necessary requirements. The twofold requirements of expression and originality define a work as eligible for copyright protection. (source: Trading TV Formats – The EBU Guide to the International Television Format Trade)
1. Is the show highly improvised or is the underlying format strongly delineated and thoroughly elaborated?
2. Is there a preset script?
3. What events are beyond the control of the creator and thus a true product of chance?
4. Over which events does the creator have control?
5. Are there “scènes à faire” which necessarily result from the choice of a general idea, theme, setting, or situation?
6. Are there scenes which are predetermined by necessity, practicability, function, or logic which are therefore limited in the manner in which they can proceed?
7. Is the format stereotypical or is there a unique twist providing for originality which allows it to stand out among the other formats within the genre?
8. If so, what are the identifying characteristics that form the unique fingerprint of original expression?
9. Are there original game rules?
10. Are there original plot devices, story lines or story characters?
11. Is there an original selection, organization and presentation of stock devices?
12. Is there a distinct concept, tone, and fee?
13. If produced; where was it aired, what were the ratings, the budget, etc?
As you can imagine, we receive many proposals, but we can proceed with only a few.
It is important for you to understand that if you send us any material (print/DVD/tape), you do this voluntarily and at your own risk. Absolutely Independent does not accept any liability for the loss or damage of this material and cannot be obliged to use the material (or the underlying format) nor to send it back to you.
Absolutely Independent will treat all information as highly confidential insofar as this is possible.
Absolutely Independent cannot be held responsible for similar ideas created by other (third) parties nor can Absolutely Independent be held responsible for any copycats.
Please contact Wendy de Wit for sending in new formats: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest—and for believing in Absolutely Independent.
The Absolutely Independent Team